Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 20 – 25 minutes
Total Time: 40 minutes
You could serve these with your scrambled egg in the morning, add them into your salad in replacement for croutons or perhaps have them as a crispy garnish in your soup.
- Preheat oven at 150 °C.
- Wash and clean the kale as suggested below.
- Remove the leaves off the kale stalks and tear these in large bite sized chunks.
- Whisk together the olive oil, salt and red chili flakes. Massage the dressing thoroughly into the kale leaves.
- Spread the leaves evenly, in one layer on two baking trays. It is good to rotate the trays halfway through the cooking process.
- Bake till crisp for approximately 20 minutes or so.
- You can add extra crispiness if you transfer the kale onto a wire rack to cool.
- Serve within a couple of hours or store in an airtight container for a few days.
- 240gm curly kale
- 2 large tbsp of organic, extra virgin olive oil
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp black pepper
- Optional: omit black pepper and use 1 tsp of red chili flakes instead, or use VATA CHURNA to reduce the possible aggravating effect of the crisps.
The trick to make a crispy kale snack is to dry the kale thoroughly after washing. If they are still somewhat moist, it causes them to wilt and steam in the oven. I like to spin the leaves in a salad spinner and finally pat them dry for extra insurance. Also, be bold with flavor, hence my suggestion to add red chili flakes. You could also experiment with your favorite curry powder or AYURVEDIC CHURNA.