Glutenfree Fenugreek Flatbread (Roti)
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 2-3 minutes
Total Time: 20 minutes
This flatbread is not only delicious, healthy, wheat and diary free, but it can go with anything, be it your favorite soup or salad.
- Boil one large sweet potato for about 8 to 10 minutes. Ensure it is cooked well. Peel and cut into cubes. Place these into a pot with cold water to cool down; just enough water so the sweet potato cubes are covered. After a few minutes, once cool, drain the water and use a folk or a potato ricer to mash.
- Place the sweet potato purée into a bowl. Add the buckwheat and cassava flour. Make sure you keep some flour aside. Fold in the dried fenugreek leaves, salt and pepper. Mix all ingredients well by using your hands to form a sticky dough.
- Dip the dough into some flour and roll into a sausage. Then cut into 8, approximately 3 cm pieces.
- The dough will be sticky, so ensure your worktop and each piece is dusted well. Roll out each piece into a thin flatbread.
- Place into a well-heated frying pan (medium heat). You don’t need any oil. It will take about 2 minutes to cook, 1 minute each side. As soon as some bubbles are formed and the bread gets slightly brown, it is cooked.
- 250gm of sweet potato purée
- 125gm of buckwheat flour
- 125gm of cassava flour
- 1 to 2 table spoons of dried fenugreek leaves
- 1 teaspoon of Himalayan rock salt
- 1 teaspoon of black pepper
For easier handling of the sticky dough and if you are not in a hurry, I suggest you wrap the dough into biodegradable cling wrap and place it into the fridge for about an hour. You can also pre-prepare the dough, as it keeps fresh for about 24 hours in the fridge.