- Add the milk, water, spices and the date, if using, to a pan and season with black pepper and whisk well.
- Bring to the boil and then reduce to a simmer for 10 minutes being careful not to let it burn or let it bubble over! Add ghee and jaggery, if using, mix well and remove from heat.
- Allow to cool a little, strain and serve.
Supplied with the kind permission of Jasmine Hemsley.
Taken from her book East By West: Simple Ayurvedic Recipes For Ultimate Mind-Body Balance published by Bluebird. Available to buy now on Amazon.
- 1 cup /250ml organic whole milk (pref. unhomogenised) or almond, oat, coconut, hemp milk etc. (ideal for vegans)
- ½ cup/125ml of water
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp ground turmeric
- 2-3 cardamom pods, cracker or ⅛ tsp ground cardamom
- Pinch of ground nutmeg
- A good grind of ground black pepper
- 1 date or 1 tsp jaggery to sweeten
- 1 tsp fresh ginger, grated or ½ tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp organic ghee (good for vata)