Sugar Free Banana Cake
Preparation time: 10 mins
Cook Time: 40 mins
Total Time: 50 mins
This sugar free banana cake has plenty of natural sweetness so there’s no need for any sugar. Moist, delicious, healthy, wheat-free, sugar-free, just enjoy it.
- Preheat the oven to 180C/160C fan. Grease and line a 450g loaf/1lb tin with baking parchment (or a wider tin for a thinner, flatter cake - this works well with the gluten-free buckwheat option).
- Mix the flour, baking powder, cinnamon and sultanas.
- In another bowl, mix the butter, vanilla essence, egg, milk and mashed bananas with a fork.
- Pour the banana mixture into the flour mixture and combine thoroughly with a wooden spoon.
- Pour the cake mixture into the prepared tin and bake for 40 mins or until a skewer inserted in the middle comes out clean. Remove from the oven, allow to cool in the tin for 10 mins then turn out.
- Drizzle with agave syrup/honey if using.
- 125 g wholemeal spelt flour OR 75g wholemeal and 50g white spelt OR 125g buckwheat flour for gluten-free option (flatter cake)
- 2 ¼ tsp baking powder
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 75 g sultanas/raisins
- 50 g butter or ghee melted (use an oil such as coconut or sunflower oil for dairy free)
- 2 tsp vanilla essence
- 1 egg
- 1 tbsp rice/oat/soya milk
- 3 ripe bananas mashed
- Agave syrup or raw honey to serve (optional)
For those with high ama, kapha or mucus, you had better avoid as bananas tend to increase these.